Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Welcome to our new Roslindale Open Mike Community Blog

Hi Folks,

    You have been asking so this is the very beginning of our new Kick-off ROM Blogspot 
Since Mike has so much to do with keeping our Website on the move for 2 years now as well as sending each of you e notifications of our upcoming events. I will attempt to take the lead & chat about some past events and when I get used to it attempt to use this blog as a diary post each Feature! As many of you know, I am NO whiz when it comes to computers and this is the very first Blog I have ever had any part of. I do wish to begin this Blog by thanking all of you for all you have done to support Mike & myself with the building blocks it takes to make any worthwhile Foundation.

On 10-11-10 we had a wonderful Feature night with John Olivere with Nadia Swartz  doing a wonderful set having us laughing at the gags within the (comedian) in John Olivere many of us did not know was there but also both John's incredible talent as a storyteller and singer/songwriter! Along with John we had Nadia Swartz as a talent we have only seen one other time at ROM but I have asked Nadia to please come back to ROM and treat to her piano and guitar playing and yet another super  singer/songwriter! This was also a night where we said So Long..Until we meet again as it was Chris Wilhelm's Final ROM for now as he moved to Asheville, North Carolina the following morning. We did have some fun with him as we did have a musical "Until we meet again"cake enough for the many of us to eat and then some!! WE also did send Chris off with a ROM Baseball Cap!  We also did with Branson Bofat as Chris ,Branson & Junko Ogawa not only gave of themselves and played at a wonderful Fundraising event from 11:15 am to around 4PM all as volunteers so they did show their integrity and pride in both their own music but also trying to assist St. Andrews Church in JP kick off their  Urban Legacy drive as well as ROM has committed to mentor if wished, their Coffeehouse that has been having some issues with attendance!! Where Junko already does have a ROM hat, she does so  much writing of music,we got her some PINK Hello Kitty style pens to continue jotting her songs in Hello Kitty Pink!!

All the best to all our fabulous Community of artists!! On this night as well, at one point we had 42 folks that wished to play and I did have to come up with another 1st at ROM and we went to a 1 song night for the very first time. I believe we did end up with 29 players and it was an awesome night and I thank you all for you continual support and I know I speak for Mike when I say, we hope to see you all at our Next ROM on 10-25-10 for our Ryan & Ortolani Feature!! I will learn more how to get many more things on this blog but it is late yet I was determined to get it started tonight!!!

All my best and hoping to see you all soon! Always, Neal Braverman :))

7 comments:

  1. Now it's my turn for some comments.

    The first two years of ROM have succeeded beyond our expectations. Every open mike has been well attended and the audience has been totally supportive of all performers--both regulars and new blood.

    In addition to all of Neal's tireless efforts, the main reason it has succeeded is by the increasing groundswell of involvement. On the web page we refer to ROM as "all-volunteer" and we really mean it. People have been setting up chairs, putting away chairs, bringing food, washing coffee mugs, and helping with the setup and break down. We couldn't keep doing it without this support.

    We just submitted a small grant proposal to the Boston Cultural Council to defray some of our costs. This gave me the opportunity to put together a budget of our costs and revenue. Taking into account the various kinds of in-kind support we receive, our annual budget was around $7,000. And this didn't cound the value of everyone's time showing up and helping out.

    We couldn't do it without your involvement.

    We are looking forward to a successful third year.

    -Mike Delaney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Folks,

    I have not been at my computer since set up of this very first chapter of what I am sure will be a wonderful investment of time into The Roslindale Open Mike Community Blog. It is my hope that the importance of this form of cyber-space will enable all of us that are able to be there the 2nd and the 4th Mondays each Month in addition to those that may NOT be able to join us each time. Hear what others have to say about the most recent or past and/or upcoming ROM's! I will be able to learn a bit more about blogs and their set up! As the ROMans did, way back when... WE too Will move ahead!!!
    I hope you are all having a wonderful Fall Foliage weekend!!! Please pass this blog address on to all your friends to see and join us as I will be slow at that.in the beginning..Thanks for your understanding! Many Thanks and C Ya soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see that you guys have put up a blog! I just want to congratulate you on the continued success of Roslindale Open Mike, and thank you for your tireless dedication to the performing artist who, these days, has so few venues left to perform in. Your atmosphere is like a party dedicated to music every 2nd and 4th Monday night. It truly fills a void in the cultural environment of Roslindale and beyond. I am one of your biggest fans! Keep up the good work! See you 10/25!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neal, this is a quick blog note to see if it shows up.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike still in the testing mode. Your note did come thru after moderation with no problem I will see if this one does as well, Also most that I have given the link you gave me for the Blog said it did NOT work another said it went to a NOT family friendly site!

    Thanks Neal. WE are under construction to all our ROMulins that may actually be seeing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's another note from Mike. This is starting to sound like "can you hear me now".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see your blog moving along!

    Please everyone accept my warmest regards for the happiest of holidays!

    Come and visit me at my own blog sometime, The Prince of Roslindale:
    http://joeyammo1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete